Art for Corporate and Individual Worship

Art for Corporate and Individual Worship
By Glenda L. Skinner-Noble

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Bridge on Which We Run

The theme for this year's Annual Conference of the Oklahoma Conference of the United Methodist Church is "A Bridge to the Future."  It's symbol is, of course, a bridge that we are to build to connect where we have been to where we are called to go as God's people.  Each year at conference, we open with a Memorial Service in which we give thanks for the pastors and pastors' spouses of our conference who have died this last year.  This year, the worship planning committee has asked me to paint during the service a composition that reflects our theme.  The goal- I am to complete is before the closing benediction!  The text for remembering the departs saints comes from Hebrews 11, "Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us."  So, can I do it?  Can I make this race in an hour?  The answer, "Yes, I can!  I will be surrounded by all those who have who have gone before me and set such faithful examples.  I will be surrounded by all those who support my path of ministry and this new road on which God is taking me.  How can I stumble?"  The service will be Memorial Day, 10:30am, St Luke's UMC, OKC.  I invite each of my two blogspot followers (Ha!), and anyone else who is interested, to come and celebrate the lives of the faithful and the bridge they have built on which we are given to run the race we have been given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment